Interesting Facts about Rockledge, Florida 32955
Interesting facts about Rockledge Florida, air conditioning, heating, repair and service.
Rockledge is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 20,170 at the 2000 census. As of 2008, the estimated population according to the U.S. Census Bureau is 24,747. It is part of the Palm Bay¯Melbourne¯Titusville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 31.5 square kilometres (12.2 sq mi). 27.7 square kilometres (10.7 sq mi) of it is land and 3.8 square kilometres (1.5 sq mi) of it (12.15%) is water.
It is bounded on the north by Cocoa, on the west by the St. Johns River and scrubland, to the south by Viera (unincorporated) and Melbourne, and to the east by the Indian River Lagoon and Merritt Island (unincorporated) on the opposite shore.
The City of Rockledge functions under a Council-Manager government. The Mayor and City Council members are elected to three-year terms. There are six City Council members whose terms are staggered to allow election of two council seats each year. The city holds municipal elections on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November each year.
While the Mayor and the City Council act as the legislative body of the City of Rockledge, the actual operation of the city and its functions lies with the City Manager and his departmental support staff consisting of Assistant City Manager/Finance Director, City Clerk/Public Relations Officer, Building Official, Fire Chief, Chief of Police, Director of Public Works and Director of Wastewater Treatment and Water Reclamation.
The Chairman of the City Council appoints members of the City Council to serve on subcommittees and to represent the City Council on other governmental bodies that require the city`s input.
In 2007, the city had a taxable real estate base of $1.55 billion.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,170 people, 7,864 households, and 5,677 families residing in the city. The population density was 727.8/km² (1,884.4/mi²). There were 8,353 housing units at an average density of 301.4/km² (780.4/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 81.06% White, 14.64% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.66% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.73% from other races, and 1.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.28% of the population.
There were 7,864 households out of which 31.0% had children under the living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 22.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.93.
The population was distributed as follows: 23.8% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 90.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
In 2010, the city had the lowest percentage of people living in poverty than any other municipality measured in the county, 5%, compared to an average of 10% countywide.
 Personal income
The median income for a household in the city was $45,218, and the median income for a family was $52,332. Males had a median income of $39,434 versus $25,918 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,700. About 4.0% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.2% of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
Due to its proximity to Cape Canaveral, there is a large number of Rockledge citizens who are employed in the space industry.
This area as with most areas in this region of the state of Florida is mostly run by construction. Many of the local business with open job listings are construction companies. The people of this area are an industrious people. Construction/landscaping is one of the most popular jobs. That along with teaching is the most populated job venue.
In 2007, the average size of Rockledge`s labor force was 11,886. Of that group, 11,455 were employed and 431 were unemployed, for an unemployment rate of 3.6%.
In 2008, 45 building permits were issued for 105 units. This was down from 131 permits for 158 units in 2007, which was down from an estimated 106 permits for 341 units in 2006.
The median home price in 2007 was $214,965.
Rockledge was founded on August 7, 1887, making it the oldest incorporated municipality in Brevard County. The name Rockledge, attributed to Gardner S. Hardee, an early settler, comes from the many ledges of coquina rock that line the Indian River. It was originally referred to as Rock Ledge. Early industry in the area was based on the citrus trade and accommodation for tourists traveling to South Florida via the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway of the Indian River.
President Grover Cleveland, still in his first term, and his wife visited the city in 1888.
The town had several large hotels in the late 19th century to the early 20th century that catered to Northern tourists escaping cold winters. Developments further south, also serviced by the railroad, put them out of business by the 1920s. The Indian River Condominiums are located where the Hotel Indian River was. Current citrus groves are now nominal, producing citrus confections, juice and souvenirs for the tourist trade and for local consumption. Local businesses now focus greatly on technology and aerospace, especially those related to nearby Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral. The city also sees a fair amount of ghost hunters coming to visit Ashley`s restaurant, a reportedly haunted establishment.
The public schools serving Rockledge are Hans Christian Andersen Elementary; Golfview Elementary; Ralph M. Williams, Jr. Elementary; John F. Kennedy Middle School; Ronald McNair Magnet Middle School; Rockledge High School; Central Area Adult Education; and Central Area Alternative Learning Center.
Private schools in Rockledge include St. Mary`s Catholic School, Rockledge Christian School, and Trinity Lutheran School.
 Major roads
Major roads are oriented towards the north-south road, US 1, with compass directions measured east and west from that road.
The following are at least four-lane roads, unless otherwise designated.
* US 1.svg U.S. 1. Construction in 2010 cost $27.5 million for 2.6 miles (4.2 km). This widened the road to 6 lanes and installed a landscaped median. This section of the road carried 45,000 vehicles daily.
 Points of interest
St. Mary`s Catholic Church, an ultra modern church built in 2002, designed by Michael Graves. The original church building, constructed in 1917, is now owned by the City and used for meetings and various other community events.
 Historic Sites
* H. S. Williams House
* Rockledge Drive Residential District
 Notable residents
* DeLane Matthews, actress, most notably as Beth Barry on Dave`s World (1993¯1997)
* Jessi Peralta, Contestant on "So You Think You Can Dance 2007"
* Melissa Witek, Miss Florida USA 2005 and contestant on NBC`s Treasure Hunters
* Mel Mitchell, American football player with the New England Patriots
* Laurent Robinson, American football player with the St Louis Rams
1. ^ "Annual Estimates of the population for the Incorporated Places of Florida" (CSV). US Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2008-04-12.csv. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
2. ^ "Annual Estimates of the population for Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas" (CSV). US Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2008/CBSA-EST2008-01.csv. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
3. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
4. ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
5. ^ 2007 Population Estimates United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2009-06-23
6. ^ Mayor & City Council City of Rockledge. Retrieved on 2009-06-23
7. ^ Dean, James (April 26, 2008). More taxes or fewer services. Florida Today.
8. ^ Ryan, MacKenzie (15 December 2010). "Census data notes makeup of towns". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1A. http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20101215/NEWS01/12150324/Census-data-notes-makeup-of-towns.
9. ^ a b Rockledge Community Data Sheet Economic Development Council of Florida`s Space Coast. Retrieved on 2009-06-23
10. ^ Building Permits United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2009-06-23
11. ^ 
12. ^ Ronald McNair Magnet Middle School
13. ^ St. Mary`s Catholic School
14. ^ 
15. ^ Trinity Lutheran School
16. ^ Basu, Rebecca (3 December 2010). "Rockledge U.S. 1 upgrade is done". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1B. http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=201012030318.
17. ^ http://www.tvguide.com/news/you-think-dance-41803.aspx
 External links
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rockledge, Florida
* City of Rockledge official site
* Old Photos and Postcards from the Rockledge Heritage Foundation
[hide]v · d · eMunicipalities and communities of Brevard County, Florida
County seat: Titusville
Cape Canaveral | Cocoa | Cocoa Beach | Indian Harbour Beach | Melbourne | Palm Bay | Rockledge | Satellite Beach | Titusville | West Melbourne
Grant-Valkaria | Indialantic | Malabar | Melbourne Beach | Melbourne Village | Palm Shores
Cocoa West | June Park | Merritt Island | Micco | Mims | Port St. John | Sharpes | South Patrick Shores
Barefoot Bay | Canaveral Groves | Courtenay | Floridana Beach | Indianola | Melbourne Shores | Scottsmoor | Suntree | Viera